Sunday, May 14, 2017

WE ARE DONE.....FOR NOW

It's been a week since we have stopped walking in hopes of Cathie recovering from her tendonitis.  We have holed up in the city of Burgos where we planned on staying until we started walking again.  Cathie is greatly improved, but each time after walking around the city for an hour or so, she is limping and in pain.  We thought we might continue tomorrow (Monday) and see how it goes, but thinking it through we made the decision to stop Our Camino.  Walking day after day was too much of a risk.  Plus we would have been entering the Meseta a 7 to 10 stretch with few facilities if we had needed special attention.


Anyway, all is not lost as I have spent the better part of the morning cancelling reservations and making new ones.  We have extended our stay in Burgos one more day and will be leaving here on Tuesday.  We will take the train to Santiago and as luck would have it, there was a cancellation at a very nice family run hotel which I stayed in two years ago.  We will stay in Santiago for two nights and will recover the suitcase we had shipped there.  There we have reserved a rental car for the remainder of our trip.  I have made reservations for one week and will make more once we figure out exactly where we want to go.  First stop is a monastery converted into a hotel on the coast in Spain.  Then it's on to a countryside B&B near Porto, Portugal .  I'll provide links below so you can see that we will be enjoying ourselves.


Although we are both extremely disappointed in the outcome of all our planning, the show must go on.  We are not cancelling our trip, just changing our plans, but there is already talk of returning to Spain to complete Our Camino in the future.


For the remainder of our time here I will be switching over to Gassaway's Adventures, so be sure to follow along as the adventure continues.


HOTEL IN SANTIAGO 


MONASTERY


B&B NEAR PORTO


BURGOS CATHEDRAL 

  
EL CID
 
PILGRIMS
 
BURGOS CATHEDRAL 
CHOCOLATE AND CURROS
VIEW FROM OUR ROOM
  
CATHIE MADE SOME FRIENDS
 
CITY GATE
 
SOMEONE BROUGHT TOO MUCH STUFF
 
THERE'S ALWAYS WINE

10 comments:

  1. What a disappointment, but the new plans sounds very good! Enjoy!

    Love Isabel (from the Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will try again Isabel, the memory of my arrival in Santiago two years ago today is always with me and something I want to share with Cathie.

      Delete
  2. I know you both must be very disappointed. Thank you for being supportive of Mom.
    "We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps."
    Proverbs 16:9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disappointed is an understatement, but I think we will try again

      Delete
  3. Via e-mail
    Sorry to hear of your change in plans - and happy to see that you are coping and making new plans - Jude

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it must be disappointing to both but making a change in plans is good. Glad you're so adaptable. Make the best if it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it must be disappointing to both but making a change in plans is good. Glad you're so adaptable. Make the best if it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I am so sorry that you can not continue on the Camino you planned. I am, however, awed by your ability to be so positive and accepting of a Camino which, though not planned by you, may very well turn out to bring you much joy and many camino lessons. I completed the French Camino in Fall of 2015 and plan to return this September at the age of 76, fully realizing that I may not be able, physically, to complete the camino I plan. And that is okay. You have been an inspiration to me, to accept what every Camino is allowed me. I hope you have a wonderful Camoino and please continue to post, as you are an inspiration to me and others. BTW, you are a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah for the kind comments. You can continue to follow along on my other blog, Gassaway's Adventures. There is a link on the right side of the page.

      Delete
  7. Dana & Cathie, so sorry to hear the news. While it would normally be a difficult decision to make it appears you've accepted your circumstances and will make the best of the remainder of your trip. I have no doubt this will still be a memorable trip for both of you. Buenos suerte!

    ReplyDelete