It's been a week since we have stopped walking in hopes of Cathie recovering from her tendonitis. We have holed up in the city of Burgos where we planned on staying until we started walking again. Cathie is greatly improved, but each time after walking around the city for an hour or so, she is limping and in pain. We thought we might continue tomorrow (Monday) and see how it goes, but thinking it through we made the decision to stop Our Camino. Walking day after day was too much of a risk. Plus we would have been entering the Meseta a 7 to 10 stretch with few facilities if we had needed special attention.
Anyway, all is not lost as I have spent the better part of the morning cancelling reservations and making new ones. We have extended our stay in Burgos one more day and will be leaving here on Tuesday. We will take the train to Santiago and as luck would have it, there was a cancellation at a very nice family run hotel which I stayed in two years ago. We will stay in Santiago for two nights and will recover the suitcase we had shipped there. There we have reserved a rental car for the remainder of our trip. I have made reservations for one week and will make more once we figure out exactly where we want to go. First stop is a monastery converted into a hotel on the coast in Spain. Then it's on to a countryside B&B near Porto, Portugal . I'll provide links below so you can see that we will be enjoying ourselves.
Although we are both extremely disappointed in the outcome of all our planning, the show must go on. We are not cancelling our trip, just changing our plans, but there is already talk of returning to Spain to complete Our Camino in the future.
For the remainder of our time here I will be switching over to Gassaway's Adventures, so be sure to follow along as the adventure continues.