Monday, January 2, 2017

OK, LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN


Happy New Year Everyone.  A new year and a fresh start, we are going to walk our Camino this time for sure.  After last years disappointment, having to cancel due to illness, we are in the planning and training stage of our Camino.  Thanks to trip insurance, we did not loose any money because of our cancellation last year.  A pretty painless process with the insurance company, and we had a check within a month.  British Air was a little more difficult in refunding the taxes on our tickets. They finally refunded the taxes, but it took a while.  Every time I spoke to someone is was a different story.  They provided me an address in New York to send them stuff and the address didn't exist.  They weren't refusing, just giving me the runaround.  Finally I got the refund in the form of a credit on my credit card, but their phone customer service sucks.

So, why you ask is there a picture of a British Air airplane?  Well, they are very convenient to get to Europe from San Diego with a daily direct flight to London.  So after watching the airfare stay at the same price for a while, I figured I'd wait a little longer for it to drop.  It went up, a lot.  But we pulled the trigger anyway and made the commitment.  We are scheduled to leave here on April 23rd and return on June 19th.  That gives us a total of 57 days, plenty of time to walk the Camino and have some time left over to explore Portugal.  There are many routes to choose from but we will be doing the French route, starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port and walking the 500 miles or so to Santiago de Compostela.  The plan is to continue on after Santiago to Finisterre, the End of the Earth.  As many of you readers know, I walked the French route in 2015, so together Cathie and I will be retracing those steps.  If you're new to the blog you can read about that journey on the Walking My Camino blog.

OUR ROUTE

We purchased everything we needed last year and with the exception of some new pants, we are good to go.  New pants because we have both lost some weight.  I had a little health issue with some A-fib which was discovered when I started a diet program with my HMO.  It took about six months, but the heart issue is in the past and all is well.  As for the diet, I lost about 50 pounds. Cathie decided to join in and lost 40.  I still have about 10 pounds to go, so new pants for both of us are in the cards.

There are many opinions, some of them strong, as to what constitutes a pilgrimage and being a true pilgrim.  Some believe that you must walk and stay in albergues (hostels) along the way. To them, this is the only way to be a true pilgrim. Others may ride a bicycle to Santiago or ever take a bus part of the way.  I don't think it matters as it is your own pilgrimage to do as you wish and feel comfortable with.  When I walked last time, I stayed in albergues some of the time, but for the most part I had a private room.  Albergues are inexpensive, about $7 to $12 a night, but sleeping in a room with 10 to 50 people was not a pleasant experience for me.  People snore, some quite loudly and I want my sleep.  If I get really tired, when I do finally sleep, I snore, loudly.  Some people fart, and sometimes I do. As for me I prefer to fart in a private room.  As the title says, Walking OUR Camino.  We will do it our way and not worry about other peoples opinions.  We will stay mostly private rooms in small hotels, pensions and B&B's with an occasional albergue thrown in.

So the plan goes something like this:  Fly to Madrid via London.  In Madrid we will spend two nights at Artistic B&B, a place we stayed in 2015.  Then we take the train to Pamplona where Istavan from  Pension Corazon Puro will met us and take us to his pension for the night.  There he and his wife Barbara will feed us dinner, breakfast the next morning and give us a ride to Saint Jean Pied de Port.  After checking in at the Pilgrims Office we start, heading up into the Pyrenees.  I have been making some reservations ahead of time, just to take the guess work out of the equation.  So there it is.  Put your e-mail address up there to the right for timely notifications of future posts.  Ask questions as we  go along and we will do our best to answer them.  Comments too are always appreciated.  Follow us and enjoy the experience vicariously. Hopefully we will inspire some of you to someday walk your own Camino.

Let the training begin.







12 comments:

  1. Buen Camino Pilgrim(s)!!!! You going to stay in Orisson again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan Len, but no reservation yet still waiting for a response from them.

      Delete
  2. Via e-mail Annette says:

    Excellent stuff, sir!
    That is great news that you have got the dates in the pipeline and things are rockin n rollin towards a spring departure.
    I'm sure last year was destiny that you had to cancel so hopefully this time it will be even better than your inaugaural pilgrimage.
    And wow! That is an impressive weight loss so imagine how many crappy souvenirs you can bring home now just through being able to pack smaller size clothing in the rucksacks!
    Please keep me in the loop as you know how much I enjoyed reading it last time...and this time there will be a female perspective to write about!
    Good luck with the training.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Via e-mail

    Good luck to you both and stay safe. We will be following along again. G & T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the weight loss and the new pilgrimage. Can't wait to see the results

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, great to hear that you are finally going! Buen Camino!!!
    My mum and I plan to go again in April as well - but the Camino Portugues and then continue to Cap Finisterre. Have you been in Finistere yet Dana? When I was in Santiago this year, I was told so many great storys from the "end of the world", I am really excited to go there now! Just cross your fingers that my mum gets three weeks off and we really can walk!
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerstin, Glad to here that you an your mother are walking again. Too bad our paths won't cross as I would love to do dinner again. In 2015 I went to Finstere, but I cheated and rented a car to get there. This time Cathie and I intend to walking to Finstere, so we shall see. Buen Camino Kerstin, give my regards to your mom.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I will be doing CF in September. I'm in my mid 60's and started my training. Your blog will help me get ready. Thanks in-advance for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment David. In my mind training is the key. I trained by riding my bike and walking with my pack starting 4 months before I walked in 2015. I had a few blister, but no other problems or issues. Comments and questions are alway welcome. Buen Camino David

      Delete
  8. Dana, the folks on the forum are saying that Corazon Puro is closed for the year. Just thought you'd like to know. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike and Ruth, I did see it on the forum and have made other plans. We will take the bus from Pamplona and have found a B&B in SJPDP. Too bad as they provided a great service which I used in 2015

      Delete